Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cat Scan


Cat Scan, This "In his own words" Paula is a co-founder of a charity for autism. She requested approval of his daughter before writing this story. We both agreed to call her Georgia to pay tribute to his favorite film director George Lucas. This article was translated from Portuguese.
When my daughter first put in my arms I noticed a unique and exotic beauty, a different kind of beauty. "Different" has been a key word in my life for almost 22 years. There was something mysterious in its development, which was not only interesting but also affecting. I shared my fears with my husband, who noticed something different about her. To some extent he was right. Georgia was delivered by natural birth at 45 weeks and 5 days. At 3 months of age Georgia had a strong head and 7 months he could sit without support. It was not until years later that I learned that sitting in a "W" position was not appropriate.
At that time I did not know his diagnosis, I was living in a seesaw. Sometimes I feel anxious and fearful, others happy. I was happy when Georgia crawled at 11 months, and when she started walking at 14 months. I did not know their normal walking pace and speed were not appropriate.
My fears and anxiety in our relationship grew distant. I breast-fed her until he was 7 months old, how would reject my touch? Why would reject my arms still embrace the arms of a stranger?
I was intrigued by their fine motor skills. She did not use his thumb to get a toy. When his attempt failed to get a toy, whi [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Popular Posts